All sewer system customers, current or future, please take a moment to read this entire post. The purpose of this post is to remind everyone of what should not be flushed down the toilet into the public sewer system.
Flushing the following item down toilets or drains can cause clogged pumps, expensive repairs and jeopardize public health:
- Cloth rags or towels
- Baby wipes, toilet wipes, towelettes, disinfecting wipes, or cloth wipes of any kind (even if the container indicates that they are “flushable”)
- Paper (other than toilet paper/tissue)
- Medications (Prescription, or over-the counter)
- Feminine hygiene products of any kind
- Beauty products, Q-Tips, dental floss
- Plastics of any kind
- Grease of any kind-especially cooking grease
- Garden supplies (such as pesticides, fertilizers)
- Paint, varnish, paint remover
- Motor oil, gasoline, or any explosive material
Only water,human waste and tissue paper should be flushed down toilets. Clogged pumps lead to costly sewer backups which can back up into homes.
Please share this information with all members of your household or business. If you have an outside contractor coming to clean your home, please be sure to pass this information on to them as well.
If you have any questions about this post please feel free to call James Blum, DPW Director or City Hall staff at (989) 831-4440.